There is a lot of false teaching in the world today and it is important to be able to know what is false from what is true.
Deuteronomy 18:21-22, “You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.”
A prophet is one who was sent by the Lord to declare the truth of God to the people. There is a lot of false teaching in the world today and it is important to be able to know what is false from what is true. There is a simple two-fold test:
1. Does it agree with God’s Word? Key points where error can be detected:
- The Bible is not all of God’s Word
- Christ is not God
- The cross not central in God’s plan
- Salvation is not by grace
- Failure to depend on the Holy Spirit
2. What kind of fruit does it produce? Does it come to pass? Does it produce love? Does it strengthen morals?
Another important thing about false teaching is to be able to spot a cult. Below are characteristics of a cult:
- A dynamic Leader
- New Revelation
- One True Church
- “Last Days” belief
- Zealous evangelism
- Separation from the world
- Total Commitment
- Intensive Indoctrination
- Authoritarian government
- Persecution complex
- Works righteousness
- Defective Christology
The best way to deal with false teaching is to know the truth. Jesus said, “Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free” (John 8:32). The more of the truth that we hide in our hearts the easier it will be to detect false teaching.